That’s right. It’s launch week! In three days The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms will be officially published. It seems weird to say that, given all the reviews and interviews and such, and the fact that lots of people have gotten their preorders, etc., delivered early. But I can tell you honestly that I’ve been stopping into bookstores all over New York City, hoping for the atavistic thrill of finally seeing
a book, with my name on it, on a bookstore shelf
but I haven’t found it anywhere. Because officially, it’s not out, and some bookstores actually, I don’t know, follow instructions or something. Go figure.
But all this changes on Thursday. On Thursday, I officially become a Published Author. And The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms will be available on bookstore shelves everywhere. In the English-speaking world, anyway. Dunno when the German, French, or Polish editions are coming out. (Oh, yeah, and the book has sold to a Polish publisher! More on that later.)
Anyway, people have said to me, “Nora, I like your book! I would like to spread the joy that is
a book, with your name on it, not necessarily on a bookstore shelf
…so how can I help?” Well, here are some suggestions!
- Buy the book.* (Please. Mama’s got student loans to pay.)
- Read the book. (This is kind of necessary for the next step.)
- If you like the book, tell everyone you know. This includes everyone on Goodreads, Library Thing, and all the retail bookseller sites, especially if they let you post reviews. (The Amazon “post your own review” feature is active now, BTW.)
- Under the category of “tell everyone you know”, blog about the book. You’d be surprised at how useful word-of-mouth is to authors.
- *If you cannot afford the book, that’s OK. Put in a request for it at your local library. Readers often think this won’t help authors, but it does! The more requests a library receives for a given book, the more likely that library is to order more copies of the book. More copies = sales for me, and you get to read it for free. Everyone wins! (Then please tell everyone about the book, blog about it, etc.)
Don’t forget, BTW, that I’m running a contest for people to send silly photos of themselves with the book. Contest ends February 25th! You could win an advance copy of book 2 of the Inheritance Trilogy, The Broken Kingdoms!